Friday 28 March 2014

The Ugg Boot War by Kylie Fornasier

Kylie Fornasier

Jake’s father is an embarrassment to Jake. He wears his old, stained, and (in Jake’s opinion) ugly ugg boots everywhere. Winter or summer, home or out in public, they are on his feet. Jake is determined that this needs to stop: he cannot handle the embarrassment of having a father in ugg boots any longer. Despite his best friend’s misgivings, and his mother’s warnings about trying to change people, Jake embarks on a daring plan to remove the ugg boots from his father’s life. Jake’s father, however, is unaware of the problem his beloved boots are causing, and the final outcome of Jake’s ugg boot war surprises even Jake.

I wrote The Ugg Boot War because I wanted to write about something uniquely Australian, and what’s more Australian than ugg boots? Like Jake’s dad, my own dad loves his ugg boots, but that’s where the similarities end, even if my dad doesn’t believe it. Since writing this book, I’ve realized just how much I wear my own ugg boots (but only at home). In fact, I’m wearing them as I write this!

 Kylie, when do you write?

I try to write every day, but that doesn’t always happen, in fact, it doesn’t even happen even half the time. If I can’t write everyday, I try to at least do something related to writing, whether that’s research, promotion, daydreaming about my story or simply reading something wonderful.

Where do you write?

I have a writing desk in my bedroom, but I rarely sit there to write. It’s more of my go-to desk for my writing supplies. Since I write on my laptop, I can write anywhere. I love sitting on the porch to write in the morning sun. And I am guilty of writing in front of the TV, quite a lot.

What can’t you write without?

My ugg boots, most of the year! A cup of tea and a piece of dark chocolate also helps. Post-it notes, in all colours, are another must.

What’s next for you?

I have a young adult novel being released by Penguin Books in July, titled Masquerade. It’s Gossip Girl meets Shakespeare set in 18th century Venice. I’m very excited about it. I also have a picture book being released by Koala Books/Scholastic in November, tilted The Prince who Shrank. And as always, I’m writing, writing, writing.

Where to buy The Ugg Boot War:




The Ugg Boot War by Kylie Fornasier, Publisher: Omnibus Books an imprint of Scholastic was published in the Mates: Great Australian Yarns series. Illustrator: Tom Jellett. Publication date: 1st March 2014

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment